Custom audiences let you target specific groups of users beyond the regular targeting options. Custom audiences can be configured for any experiment through the experimenter UI:
- Optional - Don't use them unless you need to limit the experiment to specific group of users.
- Specific to a particular application (Not all audiences can target all applications)
- Evaluated on clients via an expression language (
Right now, Desktop-only audiences will appear as options for mobile experiments. This is a known issue
Create a PR against constants/nimbus.py (see this example. You will need to set up a local dev environment (make sure you
cp .env.sample .env) and run
make makemigrations && make check to generate a migration and run tests.
Request review from a console core team member. It should be available in the Experimenter UI a few minutes after the PR has merged.
⚠️ New custom audiences should be tested by the core Nimbus team before they are used in production. This could involve any or all of the following:
- Test the whole JEXL expression on each application/device it is intended to run on.
- Ask QA to help verify it by creating a dummy experiment.
- Launch an A/A in nightly to see if real users enroll with the correct